Care Home Cook
Job Vacancy: Care Home Cook
Location: The Old Downs Care Home, Castle Hill, Hartley, Dartford.
Contracted hours: 40 per week – 5 days per week, total 40 hours per week minus breaks so is 37.5 hours. (Every other weekend).
Hourly rate of pay: Starting at £11 per hour – depending on experience.
Quick start date (ASAP) as soon as all relevant checks are complete.
We are looking for a creative professional Cook with excellent leadership skills. You will be passionate about cooking and the people you are cooking for, as well as driving the development of your team.
Our kitchen provides for elderly individuals who often have special diet and nutritional needs. As a Nellsar cook, you will be able to cater for this kind of clientele on a large scale. You will have knowledge of healthcare catering and a willingness to enhance this crucial and specialised skill.
What does the role involve?
You will liaise with our Home Manager, Nutritional Therapist and staff to ensure high-quality fresh, home-cooked food is provided every day. You will also establish a rapport with our residents and their families in order to satisfy their dietary needs. You will be responsible for:
- Planning and producing a rotating four-week menu cycle, within the catering budget.
- Preparing, cooking and serving meals for residents and others as required, in a timely manner.
- Providing a varied diet, catering for the cultural preferences of those who use our services.
- Catering for celebrations and other events in our Home.
- Ordering supplies within the catering budget and company policy guidelines, using approved suppliers.
- Maintaining accurate catering records in accordance with HACCP.
- Participating in inspections by Environmental Health and/or CQC and Local Authorities.
- Maintaining a high standard of hygiene within the kitchen by adhering to HACCP and COSHH guidelines.
- Assisting in the maintenance of a safe and healthy working environment by ensuring adherence to Health & Safety and Welfare.
- Ability to manage the Catering Team.
What skills do I need?
- Positive and motivated nature
- Creative and flexible catering skills
- The ability to lead, nurture, train and develop a team
- A sociable and caring personality, with the ability to build a positive relationship with the people we are catering and caring for
- The ability to communicate effectively at all levels
- The ability to prioritise and organise work appropriately
- Excellent time management
- Attention to detail
- A professional and neat appearance
What benefits are included?
- Competitive pay and comprehensive induction
- Ongoing training programme to suit your development needs, e.g. English and Maths skills, dementia training, nutrition training and support in cooking for residents with diabetes, dementia, small appetite and chronic illness
- Nellsar work uniform
- Enhanced DBS check which is required for this role
- Workplace pension
- 5.6 weeks annual leave
- ‘Refer a Friend’ payments of up to £1000
- Recognition schemes, including ‘Employee of the Month’
- Free on-site parking
Vaccination offers the best protection against the virus both for staff and care home residents. From 11th November 2021, all care home workers, and anyone entering a care home, will need to be fully vaccinated, unless they are exempt under the regulations.
Entering a care home for a job interview: Anyone who enters a care home for a job interview must show proof of vaccination unless they are exempt. If someone intends to have the vaccination but is not yet vaccinated, the interview should take place outside of the care home or remotely (via video call or telephone).
Recruitment of new staff: The regulations also apply to new staff recruited by the registered provider. It is important to note that only new recruits that have had a full course of an MHRA approved COVID-19 vaccine or are medically exempt from the requirement are eligible to work in the care home. It will only be possible for a newly appointed member of staff to start working in the care home once they have provided evidence of their vaccination status or a medical exemption.
Apply for this job today and tell us about yourself, your experiences and the qualities you have which would make you an ideal candidate for this essential and rewarding role. You could be just a phone call away from starting your new career with us!
About Nellsar (www.nellsar.com)
Nellsar is a leading provider of Nursing and Residential Care Homes in South East England. A family-run business, we have been offering quality care services for 30 years. Comprising 13 Care Homes with accommodation for up to 700 residents, our quality facilities cater for the full spectrum of elderly care requirements. We pride ourselves in the quality of our staff and are committed to providing a stimulating and fulfilling place to work.
Nellsar Limited is an Equal Opportunity Employer.